SV Laurin in The Netherlands

SV Laurin in The Netherlands

Sunday 28 January 2018

Days 225 to 228: 25th to 28th January 2018 - The eve of my birthday!

Thursday 25th Jan

School went well in the morning, or at least better than it was before Christmas. Then after an early finish the kids and I went into town to get a new SIM card for the mifi to double our data for an additional 10 Euros per month. On the way we called in on Ben and Annabelle to see if they wanted to play. AJ ended up staying with Ben on the beach, but Annabelle wanted to spend time with her Nana who was going home that afternoon so Esmé came with me. On the way back Helen invited us for dinner and suggested playing at the beach in the afternoon so we went back for lunch and then headed back to the beach to play with Ben, Annabelle, Kynan, Leora and Nicola. Lynita took the kids at first and then I went down, before Patrick tag teamed me so that we both got a little kid free time.


Once back at the boat I enjoyed a little quiet time before a nice long uninterrupted shower. I then saw a message from my nephew "please help" along with the picture to the right. I had a little time to spare so quickly set up a video call and talked him through his maths homework!

Then down to the house that Helen and Matthew had been staying in with their family ready for a lovely dinner with them and the Manzano family. A lovely evening was had by all, with the kids chilling out in the kids room until Esmé and Annabelle tidied it up ready for the walk back to the marina. By this time it was pretty late so Ben kindly gave Esmé a lift to the marina on the back of his bike.



Friday 26th January 2018

School again and then off to visit Donnafugata castle where we had arranged to meet the Dizzy crew for a picnic lunch. The place was amazing and the kids wanted to head straight outside to the maze, but not before stopping to climb and enormous olive tree.


The maze was built of stone and high enough that I couldn't see over the walls, Patrick managed a little better but it was a real challenge for the kids.... until they got a little help from Dad!


After the maze we eventually caught up with Lynita and crew and enjoyed a picnic lunch before exploring the rest of the garden.


Lynita and family had been forced to look inside the castle before coming out, but we had yet to see inside so we were beginning to consider our next plans when a very loud siren sounded. The kids quickly appeared from where-ever they were playing and we soon figured out that the place closed at 1pm, and it was now after half past. We walked to the entrance and had to wait for the security guy to let us out of the locked door! Lesson learned... check opening times before paying to go into a venue. Despite the day being cut short we had a lovely time and may well go back.


We then decided to make use of the rest of the afternoon to visit Decathlon to let AJ get a new scooter with birthday money, and to stock up on a few things, as well as taking a look at the other shops on the same site. Then back to the boat to cook Thai curry to share with the Dizzy crew.


Saturday 27th January

Having gone to Ragusa on Friday we had a somewhat leisurely morning. I took a walk into town to pick up some groceries and then at 1pm we joined the other families under the gazebo to celebrate Bethany Manzano's Birthday. It was a pink pig party and great fun was had by all.




In the evening we went out for Pizza with the Manzanos and Titania crew. Fantastic pizza and great company made a perfect end to the day!.... or perhaps not quite the end. I had forgotten that my lovely lady friends from home had asked to FaceTime me as they were having a get together. I did remember at 1am when I felt Patrick fumbling around with the iPad mounted above our bed only to find myself looking at this lovely crew, desperately scrambling to remember what exactly I was wearing in bed! I think Patrick will take more care in future over what buttons he presses in the middle of the night!



Sunday 28th January 

My initial plan of going to Modica and then onto a shell beach close to Scoglitti was overruled as it was a beautiful day, and that would involve too much driving, so we headed straight for Scoglitti. After a couple of false starts we eventually found the intended beach, had a lovely picnic, and were soon joined by Lynita and Justin with Kynan and Leora. We had a lovely time collecting shells while the kids got wet, complained they were cold, and got wet again!




Another lovely day, and on the eve of my birthday, expecting nothing but a handmade card from my lovely crew, I am truly happy. I need nothing more than what we have at the moment. We are so lucky to have this time together as a family. 8 months in, we have learned so much about each other, pulled together through hard times and had so much fun as a family. I'd say I can't wait to see what this year holds, but I can. For once in my life I'm living and loving every moment and don't want to rush any of it!


















No comments:

Post a Comment