SV Laurin in The Netherlands

SV Laurin in The Netherlands

Sunday 27 May 2018

Day 346: Saturday 26th May 2018 - A long dinghy ride to Sivota, and I finally figure out how to get back on the paddleboard!

We decided on a no school day, parents getting up relatively early to motor out and dump the holding tank before returning to our nice little anchorage. We then had a late breakfast of scrambled eggs with 2 day old bread toasted in the frying pan to make it edible again. It was delicious! After a little rest AJ volunteered to try to retrieve a plastic clothes peg we had dropped overboard. It feels very wrong to use plastic on the boat which could easily fall into the sea and pollute our oceans, but the wooden alternatives don't seem to grip as well and would result in both peg and clothes being blown away. Anyway, despite my scepticism AJ managed to dive the 3 1/2m and retrieved the peg, I don't know who was more proud, me or him!

We then watched the tourist boat anchor in the small bay, and the day trippers lining up to get off the ramp at the back for a swim. I don't mind too much the music blaring out and the smell of BBQ, the music was quite chilled and the acoustics in the bay are lovely, Patrick isn't so keen. I'm not sure if I could handle more than one or two a day though!

Next on the list was to motor round to Sivota to dump our ever growing bag of rubbish. Patrick topped up the outboard fuel tank and AJ drove us the mile or so to Sivota. I was really impressed at how good he is getting. He's hoping to get to the point where we will let him take it out on his own and I think he will get there soon!



The kids and I enjoyed a lovely mooch round the small town whilst Patrick volunteered to find the bins! The kids enjoyed looking at the souvenir shops and then we walked to a bakery and picked up bread, feta filled pastries and other treats before buying fruit and ice cream on the way back to the dinghy.




On our return we had a light lunch and then chilled out for a while trying to avoid the midday sun. I retied the monkeys fist on the rope swing leaving a longer tail and adding more knots higher up to hopefully mean the kids could climb on from the water. This done I turned my attention to the paddleboard. I love paddling around kneeling up but am not confident standing up just yet. I also know that I can't get back on the dam thing if I fall off so am reluctant to practice standing up unless I'm close to the boat or a beach. After 10 minutes of googling "how to get back on paddleboard for fat people" and other variatsion I came across this. Fishing around in our spare rope cubby I rigged something similar and gave it a try. After a couple of goes we had success! I'm sure it looks about as pretty as the guy in the video, but at least it is possible, so I celebrated by paddling over to the rocks and back. Photographic evidence below:


In the evening we observed a couple having a little "fun" anchoring. They had a Cruising Association Pennant so I paddled across to see if I could help. They had just bought a share of the boat and had some issues with the windless. Eventually they figured it out and we invited them over for drinks. It was a pleasant evening and we enjoyed a lovely chat before they finally went back to their boat and we cooked burgers for tea. I was then shattered (too much sun or wine?) so hit the sack early leaving Patrick to put the kids to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment